December 1, 2013

A Tarot Bag ~ Made to Fit ~ In more ways than one!


Decks in their bags from L to R:  
       Waking the Wild Spirit, Infinite, New Vision, Spirit of Flowers, Cat People, Pagan Cats, Hidden Folk, Fantastical, Fey


Custom Made Tarot Bags ~ Because Your Tarot Deck Deserves It!

        I came up with the pattern for these bags out of a need. I was not happy with the majority of bags that I found that were deck sized. All these bags were flat and either too long, too wide, or both. The cards would slide around in the bag. I did not like this rubbing of my cards. They get a lot of handling and rubbing against each other during the shuffling and reading process. I have decks that are many years old that I bought new and they have 'dull' spots on them form use. I did not want my decks in times of non-use to be subject to wear and tear. 


Here is an example of these 'flat' types of bags. This is not a bag I bought for my deck. Some publishers throw in one of these mass produced organza  bags. Which is a nice thought, but they really do not do anything to protect the deck. Plus, these bags really do not hold up for very long. This one is already starting to tear out at the seem on the right side. and this is one of the newer decks. It is need of a real home, and a real home I shall give it. I kind of like the fabric I happened to pick up at random to take this picture. 

Perhaps I will use it for the deck. Oh, picking the fabric. What a fun part of the experience! Which we will see more of later on.

        I also encountered another fault of the flat, unfitted bags; bent and wrinkled cards. Because the cards have room to move around, they do not stay together in pack form. Those cards that stray off to the sides are subjected to accidental bending. Now I take very good care of my cards, but there are times in transport or other events that a deck gets put into a bad situation and can be damaged. On two occasions a couple cards in the deck got bent while being stored in one of these kinds of bags. While I did find one bag were the deck fit near perfectly, I did not like the corners at the bottom of the bag that stuck out. I wanted to cut them off!       

It was at that moment that the mission began to design a tarot bag that fit any deck in every imaginable way.

The bag pattern I ended up designing I am sure is nothing new to the world of sewing, it is really pretty basic. But regardless of that fact, these bags are still truly unique and one of a kind.

No two bags are ever the same and they totally fit the size of the deck it is made for. As well as the fabrics used fit the personality of the deck and deck owner.

The bag is like having two bags in one! This means that when the bag is turned inside out it becomes a whole different bag. 

Bags can be made in all kinds of ways with one to four different types of fabric. They can have a layer of padding as well.  All kinds of embellishments can be added to the bag such as beads, bells, charms, and anything else that you may think of.


THESE ARE THE ULTIMATE 

CUSTOM MADE BAGS FOR TAROT DECKS*

     *also good for runes, crystals, dice, cellphones, etc.

        The majority of fabric that I have in stock are natural fibers such as cotton, rayon and silk. But I do have some synthetics and blends because the fabric is just too wonderful to pass on just because it is not 100% natural. And really, when one thinks about it, polyester and nylon is still 'natural' coming from oil, it is just highly processed. But, I know what it feels like to wear cotton or rayon and then wear polyester. I am not fully comfortable in synthetics, I need a natural layer between me and the polyester. I certainly want the same for my decks. And it is with the fabric that this process of creating a personalized one of a kind tarot bag begins.



Once I know the deck I am making a bag for and I have the measurements, I gather up the fabrics that I have that I think would go well with the deck and have you look at images of the fabric. I already have a bunch of fabric images posted for just this purpose. 
You can view some of my fabrics in my Photo Gallery - Tarot Textiles
Once it is determined the fabric to be used I start with the cut and sew part of the process. Once sewn, the bag gets it's drawstrings and any requested embellishments. I then smudge the bag, inside and out, with a special incense & herb blend.


You can request your custom bag at Owl Ka Myst Tarot 


No comments:

Post a Comment

From Mother to Crone ~ Adventures in Premenopause